My Blog List

Sunday 11 December 2016

Kaikoura Earthquake Aftermath- Room 17 Version

After the recent Kaikoura earthquake, the class wrote poems describing how they imagined how it would feel to experience a strong quake themselves.
Below are some examples of poems that

Earthquake

Where I stand the earth shakes.
Grumbles and rumbles it’s an earthquake!

The dirt rolls and slips down from the hills to the rivers below.
The water in the stream coiling and turning, roughly waves hello.
The tide splashing together with great force because of the weather.  

The ground starts to creak and splits open a crater-like hole.
A deep livid cut on the earth just for show.

Quickly you run at top speed up the highest hill and away from the sea.
With the earth still creaking the waves still speaking hide away from the horror under brambles.

The power of nature's worst disrupts MY turf.
When finished, destruction causes fear, things people can not bear.
A steeple in the west crumbles to it’s death.
Lovers crushed under the rubble.
Others being rescued from building windows.

All people with needs, houses crushed by fallen trees.
Some houses untouched, others a wreck.
Because of the earthquake that caused all that is left.


By Eleanor.S


The weekends here, the sun is shining,
My dog sprints around the room.
at first I laugh, but he then starts to bark, prophesying my doom.
I nearly fall as the ground gives a shudder,
all my belongings fall, one after another.
I hear my name, called by my mother,
we stumble clumsily in search of each other.
Hiding under a table, we can't leave the house; the ceiling is too unstable.
So instead we wait while the house still shakes;
Our fate looks pessimistic.
I get a blow to the head, all I hear is destruction,
As the earthquake swallows us whole.   

                    By Emily



I was just sitting back at home
Chilling on the couch
A giant bellow from the dog
A deep rumble disrupting New Zealand
Powerful shaking rocks New Zealand back and forth

Looking out the window to find a wave of people crowding the streets
Worried thoughts drifting through the air
Sprinting out the door
Not knowing the destruction that could occur

Devastating powerful buildings tumbling over
Walls breaking away from each other
Waves of dust drifting through the air
Train tracks chucked left and right
Cars flipped while other vehicles rolled over
Nothing sitting upright

Worried faces
Thoughts drained into thin air
Lives lost
Homes lost
Unique items gone,
Our lives completely reset.
George


It was twenty past four,
I was chillin’ by myself,
My computer sounds blaring,
Yet to be disturbed.

Only seconds later I was propelled from my seat,
Walls trembled back and forth,
The Earth split open beside me as I frantically clambered to the door.

Screams echoed through the devastated house,
The convulsing Earth still inflicting havoc and mayhem upon me,
Fragments of the ceiling raining down,
Imprisoning me under mountains of rubble and debris.
Lachlan

















No comments:

Post a Comment